Adopting China Special Children
Three New Waiting Children this Month!
We have the privilege of finding loving families for children with special needs from two orphanages through our new China Orphanage Partnership Program. THERE IS NO WAITING LIST! You may specify the medical conditions you are open to. Most families can bring their child home within 1 year. Generous subsidies are applied to all China Special Children adoptions.
Click on the videos below to:
· Learn more about the China Program
· Meet children in China waiting for loving parents
Click here to see more children
Children are typically 18 months of age and older upon arrival, with many toddlers and young, pre-school age children available. All children have minor to significant needs.
A team from WHFC, including a medical professional, regularly travels to visit our partner orphanages and meet the children. We are committed to partnering with the child care providers at each orphanage to improve the lives of these vulnerable children through adoption and orphan care. During each trip we gather detailed information about each child, including both photos and videos. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- China is a Hague Convention Country
- Foreign Provider is Central Authority of Government of China, The China Centre for Children’s Welfare and Adoption (CCCWA)
China, officially known as the People’s Republic of China, is home to more than 20 percent of the world’s population. China’s more than 1.3 billion residents are predominantly of Han Chinese ancestry. Mandarin dialects are primarily spoken.Taoism and Buddhism are widely practiced.
WHFC has helped place close to 1,900 children from China.
The following applicants are eligible for the WHFC China Special Children Adoption Program. Please note that eligibility requirements for adoptive parents are usually determined by adoption officials in the child's birth country, not WHFC.
MARRIED HETEROSEXUAL COUPLES Age 30 or Older
- Married couples must be a minimum of 30 years old and may adopt a child with no more than a 50-year age difference between the younger parent and the age of the child.
- Couples must be married for a minimum of 2 years; if there are previous divorces, the current marriage should be a minimum of 5 years. No more than 2 divorces per couple allowed. There is no specific restriction on the number of children currently living in the home.
- Applicants must be in good physical and mental health. CCCWA does have specific restrictions regarding each applicant’s health. There is more flexibility if one parent is healthy and the other has a condition that is well controlled. Please contact WHFC to discuss specific eligibility requirements.
- The CCCWA requires that families have a minimum income of $30,000 plus $10,000 per child living in the home (including the prospective adoptee). Minimum net worth for couples is $80,000. However, an exception may be made if a family lives in an area where the local cost of living is lower and they have above-average income for their area,
- All applicants should have a clean criminal history. However, some minor infractions may be considered.acceptable.
Exceptions to CCCWA's eligibility requirements are often approved for applicants open to adopting a child age 7 or older and/or one with moderate to significant medical needs.
SINGLE HETEROSEXUAL WOMEN Age 30 or Older
- Single women must be a minimum of 30 years old and may adopt a child with no more than a 45-year age difference between the age of the parent and the age of the child. Applicants must be in good physical and mental health.
- The CCCWA requires that families have a minimum income of $30,000 plus $10,000 per child living in the home (including the prospective adoptee). Minimum net worth for singles is $100,000. However, an exception may be made if a family lives in an area where the local cost of living is lower and they have an above-average income for their area.
- All applicants should have a clean criminal history. However, some minor infractions may be considered acceptable.
There may be more flexible eligibility requirements for applicants open to a child age 7 or older and/or one with moderate to significant medical needs.
Children Who Need Families
Boys and girls of all ages with mild to significant medical needs are available. Families are especially needed for boys age 2+ with special needs and Special Focus Children. Most children are cared for at our China Orphanage Partnership Program facilities.
Information You Can Expect to Receive
You may identify the medical conditions you are open to in the child you wish to adopt. Below are some examples of medical conditions commonly diagnosed among children available for adoption through the China Special Children Program. In particular, we need families for:
- Children with a physical difference (missing or malformed limb, albinism,
facial feature difference)
- Children needing surgery (cleft lip and palate, congenital heart disease)
- Boys over age 2
- Waiting children on a case-by-case basis
The China Special Children program manager works closely with your family to understand the age, gender and special needs you are open to considering. You will receive a medical report, photos and often a video at the time of referral.
Estimated Wait Times for a Referral
This is a fast-moving program for children of all ages. Most families will be matched within 1 to 3 months of program application.
One 2-week trip is required to bring your child home.You will travel 5-6 months after the referral of your child. Families moving forward with Special Focus Children who are not dossier-ready at the time of match will wait 9-10 months for travel. For married couples, at least 1 parent must travel.
Travel Experience and Resources
Accommodations in China are modern and comfortable. We work with a Beijing-based agency who arranges all travel in China. You can expect excellent support services from an English-speaking guide throughout your trip.
Please download our information packet for a comprehensive list of fees and other important information on all WHFC adoption programs.
How to Get Started
We invite you to learn more about our China Special Children Program by registering for our next China Program Webinar. If you have registered with us, complete your application as soon as possible to begin the process. If you are not a current WHFC client, register online today.
WHFC China Special Children Program Staff
We have had a close working relationship with child welfare officials in China for 30 years, and are here to answer your questions about the adoption process, assist with paperwork and keep you informed of all program developments. Contact us for more information. We look forward to working with you!
- Steps in the international adoption process
- WHFC China Special Children Adoption Program Fees
- China adoption resources
- Financing your adoption
- Family stories
Videos from Love Without Boundaries
View all of the videos from Love Without Boundaries.