In 2008, millions in Ethiopia lacked access to medical care. In the areas surrounding Adwa and Leku alone more than 12 million people relied on a few poorly equipped hospitals and medical facilities, with many too remote or sick to access any medical services. The situation was especially grim for pregnant women who frequently died during complicated deliveries as they walked 15-35 miles to the nearest hospital or clinic.
In order to help reduce maternal mortality in Ethiopia and prevent children from becoming orphans, Wide Horizons For Children committed itself to improving medical care in these under-served areas by:
- Building and establishing the Adwa Health Clinic and the Leku Primary Hospital.
- Training Ethiopian medical staff in maternal care and neo-natal resuscitation.
- Sponsoring quarterly medical missions staffed by US-based doctors that train Ethiopian medical staff, supply critical medicine and equipment and provide life-saving medical procedures.
In 2017, Leku Hospital was recognized as a leading training and teaching hospital in Ethiopia, providing support for other hospitals in the region.
Today, Adwa Health Clinic and the Leku Leading Hospital offer critical medical services to more than 25,000 individuals annually and the medical missions offer training to 150 staff and provide life-saving treatments to more than 500 individuals each year.
When a mother dies in childbirth, it puts her child in a crisis situation. Reducing the region's extremely high maternal mortality rate will not only mean that fewer children will become orphans, but also make those children much more likely to survive through childhood. The building of Leku Hospital was a true partnership between the government, the community and Wide Horizons For Children.
—Dr. Fletcher Wilson, Chairman of the Wide Horizons For Children Medical Advisory Board and an OB-GYN
Key Facts About the Program
Year started: 2008
How You Can Help
Every day in Ethiopia, a mother dies in childbirth and this puts her child at risk for abandonment. With your help, Wide Horizons For Children can improve outcomes for more mothers and their children.
- Volunteer for medical mission
- Buy a gift from our Giving Catalog that supports medical missions in Ethiopia